viernes, 23 de septiembre de 2011

When it’s more than You Can Bear


I usually go through the latest news before writing a new post; if there’s something I’m especially interested in, I define what my thoughts are regarding that fact or event, and then I consider the possibility of hurting somebody’s susceptibility. If the news passes those tests, only then I deem it bloggable.
Today, it was not an exception. I revised the most important events of these last couple of weeks and I decided that once again I would post something we can all agree on. Bullying must stop. You may think “of course, that’s something obvious”, but some other people regard bullying as an issue to which much importance should not be given; alleging that we would be making a mountain out of a molehill, and that the percentage of people who suffer from bullying is too small, thence inconsequential. Then I ask myself, is a 14 year-old kid’s life neglectable? I think not. Nobody’s is. Then, why was he left to die? Jamey Rodemeyer committed suicide. In a way, he was bullied to death; and like him, many others have been and will be bullied unless people’s minds start changing.
And when I say start changing, I don’t mean start tolerating (though is the least some people could do), I mean to start celebrating differences. How difficult is it to see the human being behind a distinctive feature or trait? How difficult is it to accept that in the end we are all equals? With the title of this post I wanted to reflect the inability to put down into words the impotence that produces in me when things like this occur. It’s the twenty first century people!
Sadly enough, it’s too late for Jamey. No words could alleviate his parent’s grief, that’s for sure. Though his mom seems to have found a consolation:

We're convinced he had a purpose on this planet, and it was to touch as many people as he could. [...] I think that was my son's #1 mission in life, why he was put here a short time, was to get that point out. And if I have to carry that for him, I will.

          
They say time’s a healer.


5 comentarios:

  1. I wonder how "developed" those countries where such state of affairs come about and how far is our society from that one since students' bullying each other to death or shooting a great target (as many people as possible) in schools rarely, fortunately, strike our society ... it's such a young age for madness!!! where is all that power gone to??? I think there should be more emphasis on adolescents education and life ... I don'r wish to reflect on what the future holds for society if adolescents go on like this...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think people should start taking things like this more seriously, if they did that wouldn't have happended. I wonder why is it so difficult to accept others as they are?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. When I came across this piece of news some days ago I felt impotent and deeply sad as well. How is it possible that a fourteen-year-old boy had to decide to commit suicide because he couldn't deal anymore with homophobia? I really can't believe these people. It really makes me sick!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. It's a matter of nature. We are all naturally different, so I don't see what is it that carry people to laugh at differences! I loved the phrase "to start celebrating differences". You're totally right about this.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I remember that some time ago in our literature class we were talking about the word "tolerance"...from that moment I realized that tolerance has a negative hidden message.

    ResponderEliminar